Powered By Blogger

07 February 2008

Cranberry Candy for your Sweetheart



The recipe at the end was given to me by Enoch's Mom. I was very reluctant to try it, assuming what a mess it would make, and then having the burden of eating all that candy (it's such a burden, you know!)...I really wanted to be sure it was worth it--worth the mess and worth the calories.

Mom's description of the outcome was actually less encouraging, as she explained how difficult it was to cut the candy out and remove it from the pan while trying to maintain its square shape and then roll the sticky blobs in sugar. But I finally thought of a solution (parchment paper lining!) that gave me the green light I was looking for, and I tried it.

It was very tasty, and would make a nice Valentine's Day treat for sweetheart with a sweet tooth, so I'm going to share it. Next time I make this, I'll probably try a 9x11 pan because the distribution of nuts wasn't to my liking (they stayed on the top 1/3 of the candy). I would have preferred them to be more in the center; plus the pieces were so sweet that if they were half their thickness, you'd still enjoy them. I think I would also try rolling them in powdered sugar instead of what I used (granulated), because of the grittiness in the teeth. But they are tasty little candies (like Aplets and Cotlets), and with all those nuts you might convince yourself it's a healthy treat! (What is the nutritional value of Jell-O anyway?)

RECIPE - Cranberry Candy

1 can of jellied cranberry sauce (do not use whole berries)
1 cup of sugar
3 small pkgs. of Rasberry jello
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
fine granulated sugar to coat finished candy.

Melt cranberry sauce in sauce pan,

add sugar and mix well,

add jello and stir over medium heat until thoroughly mixed and smooth.



Remove from heat and let stand 20 minutes.
Add the nuts and pour into a lightly greased 9x9 pan.




Do not use spray coating to grease the pan. Let stand for 24 hrs. DO NOT REFRIGERATE! After candy sets and congeals, cut in small squares and roll in fine granulated sugar, or shake in small plastic bag.



Store in tightly covered container. Do not refrigerate.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment