Powered By Blogger

08 March 2010

Singing and Making Music With Our Hearts

Ever since my first children were very young, we have always prayed at bedtime, and then ended the day singing songs. When they were really little, we sang baby songs. But the older they have gotten, the better the song selection has gotten. Now we have a broader range of ages to work with, but I love the fact that for years now, we have ended nearly every day singing praises to God.

And my kids keep me humble. Sometimes I think I sound really good (and sometimes I actually do), and sometimes my voice is squeaky and probably pitchy in places (more than I’d like to admit). But they don’t seem to notice from one day to the next whether I’m having a good singing day or a bad one. All that matters to them is that we do it every night.

I know I’m rambling on about this, but I just wanted to capture the thoughts and put them down. Because I love the fact that that is how my children end nearly every day, praising the Lord. And I love the fact that that is how I end nearly every day with my children, even the toughest days: thankful that the day is over and that the steadfast love of the Lord never ceased, His mercies never came to an end; and confident and thankful that they are new every morning.

Last night, I was reminded of a hymn I first heard sung on an old favorite cassette called Treasures by Bonnie Knopf. The original lyrics are by Isaac Watts, but these lyrics are as I remember them (not word-perfect):


I sing the Almighty power of God that made the mountains rise;

That spread the flowing seas abroad and built the lofty skies;

I sing the Goodness that ordained the sun to rule the day;

The moon shines full at His command, and all the stars obey.

I sing the goodness of the Lord, that filled the earth with food;

Who formed the creatures with His word, and then pronounced them good.

Lord, how Thy wonders are displayed wher’ere I turn my eye;

If I survey the ground I tread, or gaze across the sky!


This song really touched my heart as I recalled the lyrics and sang it to my children. I was especially thankful for yet another good song that enforces the truth of God's word, and the fact that He is the creator and sustains the universe. And that is all the musings for today.

1 comment:

  1. I accidentally posted this at my other blog, and only recently realized that it wasn't where it was supposed to be. Sorry to those of you who've already read this.

    ReplyDelete