Powered By Blogger

07 March 2009

Hitting the Wall

I have a friend who runs marathons. The farthest I've ever run was 10 kilometers. But there's a term they use when you've reached what you feel is your limit. It's called "hitting the wall." It's when your body begins to shut down and say, "I'm done. We're there." Of course, usually in a race, hitting the wall comes before you reach the finish line, and the challenge is to push your body beyond it's limits in order to accomplish your goal.

Well, I have reached the wall. My body is deciding to not cooperate with my to do list. The head cold has moved in and taken over. Thank you to those who were praying for me on Thursday. I was able to determine exactly which things would not get done (like folding laundry and baking cookies), and moved them out of sight temporarily in order to focus my efforts on dinner and general clean up. It's another well-known tactic called "fake it 'til you make it." And I enjoyed visiting with friends without feeling too stressed out.

But now the head cold is demanding its day. So I'm calling out sick. Taking the day off. Enoch has a few hours at work today, and I told him I will do my best to be sure there are still four children when he returns this afternoon. And I will do my best to stay awake. Thank goodness for all those extra cookies!

No comments:

Post a Comment