Powered By Blogger

11 October 2007

Thirteen Verses I Read Today

Just for something a little different, here's a Psalm with 13 verses for Thursday-Thirteen.

Psalm 39

The Vanity of Life.
For the choir director, for Jeduthun. A Psalm of David.

1I said, "I will guard my ways
That I may not sin with my tongue;
I will guard my mouth as with a muzzle
While the wicked are in my presence."

2
I was mute and silent,
I refrained even from good,
And my sorrow grew worse.

3My heart was hot within me,
While I was musing the fire burned;
Then I spoke with my tongue:

4"LORD, make me to know my end
And what is the extent of my days;
Let me know how transient I am.

5"Behold, You have made my days as handbreadths,
And my lifetime as nothing in Your sight;
Surely every man at his best is a mere breath. Selah.

6"Surely every man walks about as a phantom;
Surely they make an uproar for nothing;
He amasses riches and does not know who will gather them.

7"And now, Lord, for what do I wait?
My hope is in You.

8"Deliver me from all my transgressions;
Make me not the reproach of the foolish.

9"I have become mute, I do not open my mouth,
Because it is You who have done it.

10"Remove Your plague from me;
Because of the opposition of Your hand I am perishing.

11"With reproofs You chasten a man for iniquity;
You consume as a moth what is precious to him;
Surely every man is a mere breath. Selah.

12" Hear my prayer, O LORD, and give ear to my cry;
Do not be silent at my tears;
For I am a stranger with You,
A sojourner like all my fathers.

13"Turn Your gaze away from me, that I may smile again
Before I depart and am no more."

No comments:

Post a Comment