Powered By Blogger

18 August 2009

Miscellaneous Culinary Love

I love my husband.



The summer we met and fell in love, he was learning to bake bread, and cooking through James Beard's Theory and Practice of Good Cooking. (Or was it the other James Beard cookbook? I don't know.)



But I fondly remember tasting fresh tomato soup with cream when I made a surprise visit to his home one day. Another time, we attempted to make apple pie at my place. He showed up wearing a purple T-shirt; I was wearing a purple T-shirt. That must have thrown me off. I attempted to make pie crust from a mix in a store-bought pouch. (I was a rookie then.) All I needed to do was add four Tablespoons of cold water, but I accidentally added a whole cup! He had to run to the store to buy flour, and we ended up making elephant ears out of that dough-flop. I was so embarrassed, and so twitterpated. And I didn't live that measuring mistake down for a couple of years after we were married. Oh, what memories! But before we were engaged, I bought him Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads and a 14"x17" baking stone for Christmas. Now if that's not an indication of long-term love...but he got the hint, and seven months later popped the question.



Well, you've seen the results. That baking stone has stayed with us through the years, through the 3,000-mile move to Pennsylvania, and 5 more after that. It's gotten seasoned, and so have we.



Making breadsticks with the kids.



French baguettes.







Pizza every Saturday night.



Olive loaf.





We've certainly made our fair share of mistakes and big messes, not only in the kitchen. But we help one another clean them up as well. Our shared love for culinary creativity has grown considerably through the 15 years we have known each other. We have become a team. Just last night as we were cleaning up after canning peaches (future blog post), he had washed most of the dishes while I dried an put them away, but then I finished the job just as he was running out of steam. I've said it before, and I'll say it again:



I love this man!

No comments:

Post a Comment